Sunday, August 7, 2011

Bye, bye Rocky

You taste just like chicken.

We had squirrel for dinner tonight.  There was a squirrel up in a tree and Husband got it in one shot through the heart.  He used the pellet gun.  He was kind enough to skin it for me since I was heading out to the laundromat.  We had it mixed with rice, peas, and green beans.  When Husband made the shot, Charlie goes "Our first kill here!"  Needless to say, we haven't had time to hunt even though it's been on our list.  So, we took the opportunity when the squirrel presented itself up a tree to shoot it for dinner.  We'll have beef tongue another night.

The kitchen sink is set up except for the drain.  We now have running water besides a hose through a wall.  YIPPY!  Thank you, Husband.

I am still loving living here.  It is quiet and peaceful.  There is such a serenity about this place.  As hard as it is some days building our lives here and getting things set up, it is still more than worth it. 


oregonfriend said...

You ought to find a safer source of protein. Yet again, you and your husband are taking silly stupid risks with your children and you own health. As if being obese and attempting to be a 'pioneer' isn't enough, now you are eating unsafe foods?
When are you going to come to your right mind? How are you going to deal with this mess you have made when you are a widow and how would your husband deal with all of it if something happens to you? Pretending to be an "EMT" does and and will not prepare you for that day. I know of what I speak.
For your children's sake, wake up.

When eating wild rabbit or squirrel meat, you should be aware that there are some dangers.

Rabbits and squirrels can ingest the tapeworm eggs that are present in dog feces. These eggs can hatch inside the animal and the larvae can migrate to all parts of the animal's body, within the tissues. If eaten in this state the infection can be passed onto a human. The tissue of the animal should be inspected thoroughly before consumption, and the signs to look out for include a bad smell, discoloration and the appearance of abscesses. Parasites can also be present on any wild animal. The entire body of the animal, both internal and external, should be checked prior to consumption, with particular focus on the kidneys, liver and muscle tissue.

A common disease in rabbits is tularemia. This affects the eyes of the rabbit and can be passed onto humans if the rabbit is not cooked properly. The bacteria are killed during the cooking process, and the most common cause of the disease being passed onto humans is when the animal is butchered without gloves.

Squirrels carry prions, which are infectious particles in their bones and their brain. The brain of a squirrel should never be eaten as cooking will not entirely destroy the prions. Prions are similar to the infection that causes mad cow disease. The rest of the squirrel can be eaten but should be cooked thoroughly prior to consumption.

Human Ape Along for the Ride said...

Woo! Lookie, I got my degree from Google U!