Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day Off?

So, why am I at the shelter?  My Thursday day person called 5 minutes AFTER she was supposed to be here claiming being sick.  This job isn't for everyone.  I get that.  I really do.  But volunteer or not, there is still a personal responsibility.  You don't call in after your shift is supposed to start.  You call in (if you are truly sick) when you first get sick to give other people sufficient notice.

Anyway, I have the girls with me.  Husband and Charlie are at the farmer's market.  My class is tonight and I still need to study up for it.  Missing the last hour of last week's class has me a bit nervous about tonight and what I might have missed during that last hour.

I love what I do.  However, I am tired.  I am stretched.  My core volunteers are stretched.  I know when one person gets back from out of state, things will get a little better.  But what we need are people who are reliable.  I don't care if you can only do one shift a week.  One shift is one less shift I have to do or T has to do or whatever.  Get here when you say you are going to be here.  If being hit with reality spooks you and you decide that reality is not all it's cracked up to be and you can't handle it, say so.

Anyway, I am changing my name and my phone number and disappear for no less than 16 hours when I leave here this afternoon. 

No comments: