Thursday, September 2, 2010

Beautiful way to wake up

I woke up this morning as Bethany was starting to stir from her loft.  I could smell the freshly cleaned air from yesterday's rain and see the sun streaming in through the windows.  Hannah was still asleep and snuggled up to me.  I put my arm around her, smelled her hair, and with a nose full of baby girl scent, I relaxed and listened to the house and the woods wake up around me.

We got the tire on the van changed today and got it home finally.  We were in Gainsville and stopped by the farmers market there and picked up a bushel of peaches, half a bushel of apples, some eggplant, summer squash, and a few tomatoes.  Fresh produce from local growers!  Oh, and there was a banana melon that we got as well.  It looks like a honey dew on the inside with a similar taste.

One thing the children miss is the endless supply of fresh produce from the yard or from friends gardens.  They would devour it so much we just had meals of vegetable sticks.  (Carrots, celery, summer squash, zucchini, eggplant, you name it.  I'd round it out with a peanut butter dip and some crackers.)  They would eat it non-stop.  What am I going to say?  No, you can't have fresh vegetables?  I'd buy a half bushel of green beans and they would have the entire bag gone before the end of the day just snacking on it.

On thing about the prices of the markets here is that there is a policy that keeps it below grocery store prices.  Written or unwritten, I don't know.  But $2.00 for an heirloom variety of melon has me buying it.

We have to go out again tomorrow, and then we are home for a while.  I am done with all this driving.  It is tiring.

No comments: