Thursday, August 19, 2010


It is beginning to look like a home.  The piano is in place (although a couple of keys no longer play.)  The wood stove is set up and is awaiting a smoke stack.  The futon is in the livingroom and is our couch.  The hutch is in the kitchen waiting for dishes.  Our bed is put together.  The children's bedrooms are coming together.  My desk is close to where I want it.  The tall cabinet it set up between the ladders of the loft for children's school stuff, scrap paper, crayons, etc.  We are making progress.

Our "neighbor" who has moved onto our property wants to buy five acres from us.  I'm hesitant.  She's talking like it's a done deal.  I'm still thinking.  First instinct is heck no.  Because where she is talking and how she is describing would have it running into us.  Secondly, it would mean having to have a second easement.  One with the property we have to cross to begin with and again with her.  Third, "NO" just keeps going through my head.  If we did do this, it would have to be a "rent to own" type deal.  But immediately she is setting the terms, the price, and the area and demanding to see our contract and copy of the property deed and all this other stuff including her being the one to write out the agreement and when she will start payment.  I just get a bad feeling.

Anyway, other than that, Thursday night dinner was fun.  We met someone else who R had been working with and he hangs drywall for a living.  He took a look around here and asked when we were going to put a well in.  We're not.  We won't need one.  Plus, we don't feel like shelling out over $10,000 for one.  He was impressed with our stove.  I'm going to have to take pictures and upload them. 

Anyway, I need to get to bed.  I'm tired and I have an early day tomorrow.  I'm filling in at the farmer's market.


Michelle in Illinois said...

I'd almost say go with your gut feeling. If she is that interested she can wait if you need time to think about it. I don't care for pushy people. If it is your land, she has no say. Tell her to buzz off LOL

Human Ape Along for the Ride said...

I second Michelle.

If this is something that came up quickly and you are being pushed, pushed, pushed about it, I'd go with my gut and say "No.", it's your property and there's no reason you should feel pressured to do anything.

Remember the RTO fiasco here. I'm betting my house that you don't want to go through that again.

Something you might want to check in on WRT your state/county: do they have "Squatter's Rights" laws? If so, what are they?

You, m'amie, are flypaper for freeloaders. We need to work on that.