Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Covered Bridge

Tomorrow, we head out to Bloomingdale to start setting up for covered bridge.  There will be three things going on at M's house.  There will be a La Leche League fundraiser yardsale, a raffle for a Pump-In-Style breast pump to raise money for The Breastfeeding Coalition of the Wabash Valley, and my soaps.  So, as you can see, some organization will be necessary to make sure the ten days goes smoothly.  Since there will be goats there, care of the goats and making sure they are not over-stimulated by people while still attracting people is a must.  It is one thing to have the goats out and away from the rest of the herd for a few hours, but this is going to be ten days.  They will be fine in that they are not going to be in any danger.  We will just have to make sure that they have "away from tons of strangers" time when they need it.  We will be bringing the portable fence with us that we made before Pioneer Days.

It is going to feel strange not being with my husband for most of the ten days.  He will be coming up Saturday after Farmer's Market and staying through Sunday (no church this Sunday) but after that, I won't see him again for a week.  I won't be seeing Charlie either.  I'll have the girls with my, but my "guys" won't be with me.  It will definitely be different.

Christmas is coming up and usually, I am done with my shopping by now, but this year, I have not even started.  I have no clue where to start.  SIL will be a no-brainer.  A gift donation in her name to her favorite charity.  Well, two.  One from us to one charity and one from the children to another.  The children are another story.  I have some ideas for Charlie, but what I would like to get for him can not be gotten with the girls still so young.  They still put things in their mouths.  Bethany has literally eaten not just the eraser off of pencils, but the metal part as well.

We've been discussing Boy Scouts for Charlie.  I am thinking it is time to enroll him.  He would be a Cub Scout.  I think it will be good for him.  As long as I don't have to sell any popcorn.  The scouts do have a "law" I can get behind.  A Scout is:  Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Not one who goes by blind obedience and don't teach my children blind obedience, I looked at what was said about being obedient with the scouts and I can even support that.  "A Scout is Obedient.  A Scout follows the rules of his family, school, and troop. He obeys the laws of his community and country. If he thinks these rules and laws are unfair, he tries to have them changed in an orderly manner rather than disobeying them."  That right there supports the concept that we live by and try to teach our children.  Be obedient.  If you don't like the rules, work to change them.  But don't just outright disobey them.  Anyway, this is something we are still talking about.  A part of me is concerned about this going the way of 4-H when we tried to have Charlie in that.  It was very cliquish and we were basically shunned.  We were outsiders and not very welcome.  I'd still have Charlie in mini 4-H if it weren't for that.  We will see.

I am doing a lot of mindless rambling here with no real focus.

We went to the house early today because we got a call about the goats having gotten loose.  There was a predator attack during the night which caused the goats to break through the fence where two panels joined together.  (We lost a few chickens in this attack.)  So we get there and the workers were on the roof and the goats were all in the front yard.  Lovely.  We managed to get them in without too much effort, but it was still annoying.  The we found out when we went back later that they had to free some of the goats that were getting caught in the fence.  This is why we can't be living away from home.

We did find out that the mold problem will be done by the beginning of next week.  That means that we can be in the house for more than a few minutes at a time.  Technically, we'd be able to move back in, but it is still not safe for the children with all the construction going on.  But Covered Bridge will be going on so it will be a non-issue.  After Covered Bridge, I will be spending the days at home cleaning up after the construction workers, cleaning carpets and furniture to make sure there is no mold, doing laundry, cleaning up insulation, etc so that the children can come home to a safe, clean house.  Hopefully by then, everything will be done, the construction workers will have packed up and left, and we will have our home back.

Well, I need to finish filling soap bottles and get to bed here soon.  

No comments: