Thursday, May 28, 2009

What's that, Ma?

I can't hear you!  

It looks like Tama is deaf.  I am blaming the inbreeding.  She seems like an otherwise healthy, strong goat.  But she does not answer her mother and she does not respond to sound.  This is not good.  She initially looked nice and healthy and free of genetic defects, but the deafness is not something I want handed down.  Being free-range, that is a liability.  Deaf goats (or any deaf animal) will not be able to hear predators.  Nor will they be able to hear the alarm sounded by the other animals when predators are around.  So, we will not be breeding her.  That makes me sad.  She is so adorable and has beautiful markings and floppy (nubian) ears.  Passing those traits along will not be happening.

In other news, we got our soap pumps and bottles today for the liquid soaps.  I am shocked at how quickly they came.  I am also thrilled.  They seem to be working great.  This will be wonderful and in plenty of time for opening day of the Farmer's Market.  We still have lots of soaps to wrap.  I need to get more lye and some cinnamon.  We have no cinnamon soap.  We picked up baskets of different sizes and designs yesterday while at Goodwill.  I've been playing with the table display with the baskets.  So far, I am not 100% happy with it.  I like it, but I am not settled.  I haven't quite found the "This Is It!" set up yet.  Once I am happy inside, I need to set it up outside.

I also need to pull the other table out and set up for La Leche League and see what that is going to look like.  I am thinking bungee cords to start off with.  We will need to wind-proof the display.  I am also going to need to get a cash box for Hoppes Homestead and a donation box for La Leche League.

For right now, though, I need to get ready for work.

No comments: