Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mission(s) Accomplished

More soap is in the molds.  We have plain, eucalyptus, and cedarwood all setting.  The oatmeal has been cut for final drying.  Mozzarella cheese and ricotta cheese has been made.  More cheese is waiting to form and will be a hard cheese.  I have the whey set aside to make more bread.  The pressure canner is going with different bean soups.

Ham and Black-Eyed Peas
Ham and Split Pea
Ham and Black Beans

I had two jars more than what would fit in the canner so they are in the fridge and we will have them for lunch (or supper) tomorrow.

George set up the donate button on the sidebar.

K and her family came over so K can do some milking.

I did a three mile on Walk Away The Pounds and I have started jogging the last mile when the video has walking.  I am hoping to be able to find the time to do a one or two mile tonight even though it is already 8:00.

I found three turkey chicks dead this morning and George said one of them did not look good this evening and he was not sure if it would make it.  So, we have lost half of our turkeys now.  I am planning on getting more when we get back from conference.

I also lost most of my crop to the hard freeze that we've had.  Not the least of which is 72 Heirloom Tomatoes.  I had too much to ground to cover.  That's one of the hard things about trying to grow your own food.  You lose the crop and have to start over, it is not a small task.  Even with warning, there aren't enough blankets, sheets, etc to cover it all and still have bedding for us.

Anyway, more seeds (and starts at this point) with no guarantee of it being heirloom due to the fact that heirloom is not cheap.  But, genetically modified seeds are.  However, along with being genetically modified and no guarantee of it being organic despite what the package says, the seeds can not be harvested with any kind of guarantee of edible production the following year.

And, more turkey chicks.  And turkey chicks are not cheap.  The cheapest I have ever seen is just under $6.00 per bird with a five bird order minimum.  We didn't get the number we wanted to begin with when we ordered them because they are so expensive plus there is shipping cost.  How many we will be able to get, I don't know.  I have to look at our finances and see.

Anyway, Charlie has been doing very well with his Bible writing.  Using the Bible for his copy work is working out very well.  After we did his math, I sent him upstairs to do his writing and he went running saying "Yay!  The Bible!"  Ok.  Knock me over with a feather why don't you?

Hannah has been snotty and not breathing well at night.  She has been coughing a lot and running a fever at night, but fine during the day.  (Except for the whole snot-face thing going on.)

Bethany spent last night and is spending tonight at my SIL.  I am sure she is being pleasantly spoiled with a whole princess thing going on.  I talked with SIL earlier (and briefly, Bethany) and she had said they had pizza, watched movies, and stayed up late.  (Shocking, I know.)  But that's ok.  Going there is a special treat.  They watched Esther and another Bible movie this morning.

Anyway, I have laundry to take care of and a load of toilet paper to do.

1 comment:

Sasha said...

Orscheln in Bloomington/Ellettsville has turkeys for about $6.50 each. Not cheap but there's no shipping. The ones we bought from there seemed pretty healthy too. I lost one to the cold and one to an overeager puppy, but what can you do.

Anyway, if you want I'll check and see if the one in Linton has turkeys.

BTW do you make frankencennse (don't know how to spell that) and myrrh soap?