Friday, January 30, 2009

Friday Update

ELECTRICITY: Double, double, toil and trouble. Electricity rises and bursts the bubble! (Really, really bad Shakespearean rip-off.)
What’s been going on:
1. I took down the material that was in the doorway between the kitchen and the main area.
2. The heater in the garage is still on and had been turned up a few times. The heater is going to stay on because Flora is days away from kidding and after last year, I don’t want to see a kid frozen to death. (This has not changed although the vulva is very loose and flabby.)
3. We are not running the fan, but maybe we should start doing that again.
4. We’ve stopped running the solar panels. I am thinking the ones above Charlie’s room should start running again.
5. The truck has been plugged in.
6. I cranked the heat up to 70* a couple of times this week. (This is probably the biggest.)
7. George runs the dryer.

Anyway, without further ado, here are our readings:
65963 reading
2683 kwh
1272% of the national average. Ouch! No more electricity for me. (Ok. Not really, but I do need to crack down on our usage.)

IDC: We planted heirloom seeds that a Homeschool mom brought with her. (That reminds me. They need water.) I canned some chicken soup and am getting ready to can some cabbage soup. I am also going to start on the kale soup for canning.

GARBAGE: The shredder is working again which makes me very happy. George fixed it. He is talented like that. This also means that our garbage usage should go down.

GASOLINE: For the pick-up, 26 gallons at a cost of $65.

MONEY:
Restaurants: $199. WAY, WAY, WAY high, but this also includes an almost never happens date with my husband and no children.
Groceries and Misc.: $365. This includes stock-up and emergency supplies
Clothing: $79. Can I just say that Goodwill has gotten expensive?
Payback if money owed: $70.

HOMESTEAD: Flora’s vulva is not just protruding, but swollen and flabby. I gave her fresh water this morning and she pooped in it so it needs to be cleaned again. I will use the opportunity to examine her to see if there is any streaking.

HERBAL STUDY: I did no herbal study this week. Being on constant watch for my MIL has me side tracked. I have not forgotten that I want to study diabetes and will keep it on my goals for the week.

HOMESCHOOL: Charlie is still doing well even though we have been scatter-brained this week. I want to take him with me this week to help with price comparison so I can update my info. And to see if I notice anything like what I saw at K-mart on Wednesday.
We picked up a pair of snow pants for Bethany. I saw these snow pants last month for $8.00. I did not pick them up because I was hoping for a used pair at Lighthouse Mission or Goodwill or something. But I did make mental note of the pants and the price.
Wednesday was the day of the BIG SNOW. (Ok, so in Indiana, it is a BIG SNOW.) We were bill paying and stopped at K-mart for underwear, socks, and a few groceries and decided we just couldn’t wait for snow pants anymore.
We got them on clearance. They were $12.00. FOUR DOLLARS MORE.
So, I figure this would be a good real life lesson for Charlie. I also have something else in mind for Charlie, but I need to talk to the piano teacher first.
Charlie has gotten vocal about his likes and dislikes and wanting to do more for himself and take on more responsibility. I am thinking about six months in the future of him actually working for his piano lessons. Doing work for the piano teacher that would amount to one lesson a month with us still paying for the rest of the lessons.
I’m still working it out in my head and still need to talk with the teacher. I don’t know if anything will come of it, but it is a thought that is working in my head.

WEIGHT LOSS: I am 258 this week. I am maintaining and with everything else that is going on, that is about the best that can be said.

GOALS ACCOMPLISHED:
Exercise: Does running myself ragged count? Or parking at the far end of the parking lot? I really do need to do some exercising. Not just for the weight loss aspect, but to help me be focused and take time out to take care of myself if only for a few minutes each day.
Sewing: I’ve done a bit of sewing but nothing is completed. I’ve been passing out once I hit the pillow at night.
Control journal on laptop: I’ve started. Just like everything else. I get started then I stall.

NEW GOALS:
Exercise
More sewing
Get my control journal on this laptop
(I’m keeping them the same.)

HERBAL/ILLNESS STUDY OF THE WEEK: Diabetes. I want to study diabetes and see what herbs (besides fenugreek) help with maintaining a healthy glucose level.
(I’m keeping this the same.)

No comments: