Thursday, January 29, 2009

Back to normal

Or whatever is being passed off as normal this evening. Hannah came down stairs and is asleep on the couch. Bethany is chattering away up in her room instead of sleeping. George is playing his sniper game.

We did a bit of shopping today to pick up some much needed clothes for our ever growing children. Bethany has outgrown her dresses. They hit the back of her knees. Charlie's shirts were getting too short in the body. Hannah was running out of shirts that fit. So, we hit Goodwill and Lighthouse Mission thrift stores and went looking. We found a very nice selection of clothes even though it took some hunting.

Yesterday, we got Charlie some underwear, socks, and under shirts. Poor kid. His underwear were a size four and he takes a 6-8. So he had been wearing underwear two sizes too small for a while now. Since I have not dressed him in a few years, I have not been doing a very good job of seeing if under things fit. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. Anyway, it got taken care of.

George made a really good find. He found a yogurt maker for $2.50. The lidded jars are a white Pyrex type glass. It even had the original sales receipt with it from Service Merchandise in 1980. Reading the instructions (yes, it still had the original instructions) you can tell it was from the 1970s era. It had things in it like "Try making your yogurt with goat, sheep, or buffalo milk for a "far out" yogurt experience." Yes, it really said "far out." I think it was even hyphenated. I don't remember. But, yeah. I got a yogurt maker. Groovy. We'll find out if it works over the week-end.

We saw my MIL today. She did not look good at all. She was in a lot of pain. Her mouth smelled horrible. She had not been bathed. Her hep lock was blocked. The saline bag that was hung yesterday had very little gone from it. The bag of antibiotics was set of gravitational feed (the IV pump was not working) and there were no antibiotics getting into her. Who knows how long all of this would have gone unchecked had George and I not shown up. Next time I go (tomorrow) I am bringing my stethoscope and thermometer. She feels like she is still running a fever and her respiration was 28. She sounded horrible. I can not wait until she can be brought home.

No comments: