Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Been a few days

I'm a slacker.

This past weekend was Oldies in the Ozarks.  Saturday, the children had a blast.  I was working with the others from the fire department at the shooting gallery and the trout fishing was right next door.  The people at the trout took a shining to my children.  (Either that or my children suckered them pretty good.)  My children managed to get the same dead with them that I made.  Help, and you can shoot for free.  They told the children that if they help with ice (too keep the temp down so the fish will bite) that they could fish for free. 

My children were reinforced with an important lesson that we have been teaching them.  You have to work for what you want.  It is not just given.  It is a value that we have been instilling in them and has been backed by total strangers.  They had as much fun, if not more, than those who were going around spending their parents' money.  (And I heard more than once out of children that the best part of the day was "draining my dad's wallet."  Joke or not, it shows a very sad mindset of how many children are raised.)

Saturday night, storms came through and destroyed the shooting gallery.  (As well as tents, a gas station sign, knocked down trees and power lines, etc.)  We were on high alert stand-by for quite a few hours.  Thankfully, the storms passed, the electric company was quick on repairs, and we were able to get a few hours sleep before going back to the festival the next day.

When we got there, the parts of the shooting range that were not destroyed were being taken apart and the event was no more.  So, we ended up getting the rest of the day off.  Sort of. 

I did get my medical bag and it includes a cpr mask, bag valve, glucometer, pulse ox meter, thermometer, bp cuff, stethoscope, and a bunch of other stuff.  I am glad to have it and can replace the "consumables" such as pressure gauze, tape, etc as needed, when I retire (can you retire from a volunteer job?) from being a first responder, the bag gets turned in.

Monday was spent at home (I think.  I don't remember Monday too well.)

Yesterday, I had a few meetings.  One was a staff meeting and we got the schedule worked out for the office.  (Soul Haven)  I also got confirmation for our new office.  We also went over some of the policies and procedures and rewrote it to suit a non-shelter program.

Last night was Ozark Neighbor Exchange and although a part of it did get a bit tense, it was informative.  We got target dates for a few things and other items needed to be taken care of, but will be covered at the next meeting. 

Today we had a meeting with a client and I am excited.

I have a shopping list in my head of things that I need to pick up at the Evil Empire. 

Tomorrow morning, I am meeting with a couple of people to discuss logging on my property and tomorrow afternoon, we are picking up 100 square bales of hay.

I'm ready for a nap.

1 comment:

oregon friend said...

I have noticed you have not updated in quite a while, everything ok?