Saturday, May 7, 2011

Working and Parenting

Is it possible to do both?  Can a mother work or volunteer outside the home or will she do irreparable harm to her children?  Is it possible to balance both?  Anyone who knows me knows that I am a firm believer in babies needing to be with their mommas.  That said, I also believe that babies need their daddies as well.  These children have both.  It is possible for children to have their primary parent be their father and still feel loved, secure, and know they come from a home where they are cared for.  While they do miss me while I'm gone, they get plenty of snuggles, cuddles, lovey-doveys, and mommy time. 

My question is would people be as judgemental if roles were reversed to "normal" and it were Husband working (if he were capable) while I stayed home?  Would people be making the comments to Husband if he were working full time without pay while I was home?  I doubt it.

My children are not in daycare.  They are being cared for by a parent.  By their father.  And, when I am home, both of us.  Not strangers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. It is equally fine to have the primary caregiving parent be a father, and the mother work or volunteer outside the home. Every family is different, and and every member of a family has their own skills/abilities/desires. If it works for everyone in the family, that's what matters! From your descriptions, your children are happy and secure. They are loved and nurtured. You are doing what is best for your family!

I enjoy reading of your adventures, and your positive outlook on life. Keep writing!

Anonymous said...

And they are loved