Wednesday, April 13, 2011

No Court

Over 500 miles.  That is how far I drove.  I had been trying to get a hold of my lawyer since DECEMBER.  He never calls back despite the numerous messages I leave.

Yesterday, I call again and tell the receptionist "I have court tomorrow.  I have been trying to get a hold of (lawyer) since December.  I have a right to counsel and he is the attorney assigned to me.  I am driving from Arkansas and I want to know what the heck is going on.  If I don't get a chance to talk with him before tomorrow's appearance, I will be livid."

He calls back about 10 minutes later.  (Shocked me.)  I try to find out what is going on and he is thinking I missed a payment because of a five Friday month.

"No.  Everything is on record.  I am ordered to pay X.  With a four week month, I am paying above that on a consistent basis.  I have not missed a single month.  For proof, I send it postal money order, delivery confirmation, return receipt.  That is proof in triplicate.  Keep in mind that these payments are being taken out of my husband's VA Disability income so technically, he does not have to allow this.  It is also on record that I can't work because of his disabilities.  Me working a full time job is a hardship.  (As has been proven yet again when I was working all those hours at the shelter.)  So, no I have not missed payments and I am halfway through Illinois right now driving from Arkansas to make this court date that from what I understand was not supposed to happen."

Him:  "Well, there's a new prosecutor who is gung-ho (blah, blah, blah something about Democrats vs. Republicans) I will call the prosecutors office and see what is going on and what I can do."

45 Minutes Later:
"I spoke with the prosecutor's office and spoke directly with the prosecutor.  You don't have to be here tomorrow.  There will be one more review case and that should be the end of it.  You will get a notice in the mail when that will be so turn around and go home or go visit the Arch."

Brain explodes.  I am 30 minutes away from my SIL's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there things will get better.