Monday, October 26, 2009

Boy Scouts

Charlie had his first scout meeting today.  There is a pack that meets a mile from our house.  It is a new pack and Charlie had a really wonderful time.  I am glad I found this pack and got Charlie involved.  We will be picking up the book and a shirt this week.  I see a long line of patch sewing in my future.  That does remind me.  Does anyone want some popcorn?  

Charlie also joined the homeschoolers today and learned a bit about ancient Japan.  Next week will be India and I will be doing some kind of activity related to the climate in India.  So our Mondays will be from 9:00 to 2:00 at the library going from weather to book club to ancient history to art.  Book club, ancient history, and art are all related to the same topic each week.  (This week was Japan and next week will be India.)  The only "off subject" will be weather but for the art section as everyone breaks into smaller groups, I can have a map of India (or whatever country) and have them color a climate map for that country.  (Tropic, subtropic, arctic, etc.)  Then we will be coming home where he will do the rest of his school work, then dinner, then scouts, then home, shower, and stay up for an hour after the girls go to bed.  All in all, while a busy day, not too bad and it is only once a week.  Plus, scouts is only three weeks per month.  Not every single week.

Charlie also picked out a whole bunch of books from the library and he is looking forward to reading them.  I need to make sure he does his school work before he gets lost in the books.  He is like me in that he will read to the exclusion of everything else.  I need to watch for that.  While on the one hand I am glad that he has a love of reading, I get concerned that he will ignore everything else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you make him do book reports?

Mrs. Hoppes said...

No, I don't. I hated doing them when I was a kid and it ruined reading for me for a long time. I do enjoy reading now and don't want to ruin it for him. I do enjoy discussing books with people and we do talk about books he reads, but making him do an actual book report? No. Not now anyway. Maybe when he is high school age and he needs that skill for college level classes. But at this age, we focus on the joy of reading and with that joy and discussion comes the reading comprehension.